Monday, August 8, 2016

FINDING TIME FOR YOURSELF IS SCARILY HARD TO DO




Today, I am half-awake, one eye open a little larger than the other, barely making it through my first teacher work day. 

Sunday at midnight, Luke and I returned home to Charleston from a wedding at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. The weekend was everything you could imagine. We were surrounded by love, a beautiful resort, good friends from across the country, and most importantly-- wedded bliss.

As I crawled into bed Sunday night with the cat vibrating wildly on top of me, I realized I hadn't made a blog post yet.

Folding my hands over my head, my brain kept reeling. Gosh, I thought, I start back to school TOMORROW. 

While I'm excited to meet my new students and see old ones, I began to worry- when will I find time to work on my writing? My days are fueled by mentally demanding teenagers, my evenings are filled with physically demanding cheerleaders, and at night I have a serious commitment to watching Scream Queens with Luke.

So when would I find time to work on me? In Spring, our fearless principal reminded us to be good to ourselves. "In order to be good teachers, parents, friends, and spouses, it is imperative to make sure we find time to take care of ourselves," she said. Unfortunately, its easy to forget that we as individuals are important, too. "Remember to take 'me' time," she included sincerely, "And find time to unwind."

Letting these words find their way back to me as I snuggled deeper into the crisp sheets, I decided I would MAKE time to write and relax. In between practices, after dinner, and during holiday breaks, I promised to pencil in time to work on 'me'. To some of us, 'Me' time is reading The Onion and having a laugh on our lunch break, to some of us 'Me' time is watching the Bachelor while we judge other women's outfits, to some of us 'Me' time is hitting the gym and sweating away the days frustrations, to some of us 'Me' time is listening to a podcast in traffic, to some of us 'Me' time is reading a book until our eyes get heavy in bed-

Whatever your 'Me' time is, make sure you take it.
Take it and don't feel guilty.

So, whether I write 5 or 500 words (sometimes the 5 take longer to write than the 500), I pinky-swear I will continue to work diligently on my personal projects and relaxation throughout the year.


Ask yourself, when will you find time for 'you'?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished