Wednesday, August 24, 2016

ART IS AS GOOD AS WORDS

Today in 12th grade English class, I asked 55 young bright minds to create a coat of arms to serve as an introduction to Old English Literature.
For their project, they were to pick one animal, one symbol, one color, one motto, and two wild-card items that they felt best represented them.
Once they selected their items, I asked my students to fill out a shield template and create a blog post (due Friday!) explaining what each item meant to them. 
This year my motto has been 'lead by example', so to my English 4 class- here is my coat of arms.


Animal of choice:
SNAKE 
The snake represents ambition.
I chose this animal because this year I've never felt more determined and enthusiastic about my career. With a novel in the works, a blog to keep up with, coaching the JV cheerleading squad, and trying to put together a senior class volunteer project, I have my hands full. It all fills my heart up!

Symbol of choice:
FIRE
The fire represents zealousness.
This quality accompanies my reference to my writing career. For years, I put my writing on hold. Finally after making some big changes, I decided to chase a dream of mine and take my hobby off the back burner. I look forward to sharing it with you all in the future.
Wild-card choice:
VAMPIRE BATI selected a vampire bat to represent my heritage. As an ancestor of Vlad the Impaler, I wanted my students to know that I am proud of my dark Transylvanian roots. In conjunction, the bat was a heraldic symbol that derived from a flying dragon. The word dragon, or Dracul (which also means devil), is how Dracula's name came in to fruition. I suppose this is how the symbol of the bat became associated with the popular Gothic monster.  


Motto choice:
DIU DRACO
This phrase means long live the dragon.
To me, this phrase emits a hope for my family-line to live a long and prosperous life.

Wild-card choice:
STAR-BURSTS
 The five star-bursts represent the wonderful family I have surrounding me: my mother Celeste, my father Bill (he likes to be called Diz though), my brother John, his wife Amy, and my best-friend/boyfriend Luke. I colored the stars a shade of yellow because it represents generosity. Each member of my family gives selflessly and I am so fortunate to be surrounded by them. Thank you for all that you do.
 
 Color choice:
BLACK
I chose to color the fire black to represent constancy.
I believe I need stability in my personal and professional life to move forward with poise and grace.


To all of my students, I hope this project has taught you that art is as good as words and it has reminded you of all of the wonderful qualities you possess. 

Check out our wall of heraldry below!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished