Monday, August 29, 2016

MY FIFTEEN...


My life the past few weeks...
Recently, I wrote post titled:
 FINDING TIME FOR YOURSELF IS SCARILY HARD TO DO.  The post touches on finding 15 minutes a day to do something for yourself: read a book, listen to a podcast, cook shrimp-scampi, paint your toes- whatever. So, after telling ya'll how important it is to find a few minutes to decompress I'll admit, I've been struggling to find time for myself already. 

Last Thursday, I came home after a hard day of teaching and coaching and sat down for the first time in hours. To the left of me: a pile of papers to grade and to the right: a basket of laundry. Instead of tackling the stacks, I stared.  I stared off into space and thought about nothing. A few minutes later the door opened; it startled me. My boyfriend bounded in, he had just returned from the gym.

"How was your day, babe?" he asked excitedly, wiping the sweat off his brow.
I pulled my legs in close to my body. "I'm exhausted" I said in a deflated voice.
"We need to get you some energy!"
My eyes welled with tears.
Lately my days have been long- filled with teaching, coaching, grading, professional development courses, and creating lesson plans- and it is only the first month of school. In my spare time, I have been doing things that keep me alive: showering, eating, and going to sleep early.
"I haven't had any time to write," I said as a tear made its way from my deep brown-eyes and trickled on to my cheek.
Luke wrapped his arm around me. "You need to let something go" he said as he squeezed me.
I smiled at him. In my head I was thanking him for unconsciously giving me permission to relax a little. I let out a sigh and returned the hug.
"Let's make a nice dinner and then take a walk," he said, "Its going to be a beautiful evening out tonight."
"I think I need it" I responded, my eyes still a little swollen. Luke pulled me in closer, brushed a few wisps of hair out of my face, and gave me a kiss.
"Thank you," I replied. Approximately an hour later my phone rang.
"Dzurko" I heard at the other end- it was my department head and co-cheerleading coach, "I'm tired." The declaration ended there. A smile secretly crept up my cheeks."My God," I said, "It's so nice to hear I'm not the only one." We both let out a girlish laugh and a sense of relief was released.

Sometimes, when you're over-working or over-thinking things, the best medicine is knowing you're not alone. Having a support team to surround you is truly a gift from God. I feel so blessed to have a wonderful family and school staff to share my highs and lows with.

"Dzurko" I hear again, but this time from across the hall, "Go home!"
So with those words, I'm headed home. I am freeing myself from my desk and going to go enjoy some me time. Tonight, that means eating Lemon Chicken at the coffee table.

This is tomorrow's fifteen...
 I hope you are making time to take yours.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished