Monday, June 19, 2017

CAROLYN AND CORALINE: THE BOOK SELFIE PROJECT

"Its Carolyn not Caroline!"

Just like Coraline Jones, the protagonist of Neil Gaiman's dark fantasy novella, I find myself relentlessly reminding people of my name. When I bent back the cover again in 2016, I remembered how it felt to be a young girl, determined to discover the world and explore the darkest nooks and crannies. Today, Coraline perpetuates my creativity as I use it to inspire my own middle-grade fiction novel and it awakens my notion of what it really means to be brave.


IMAGE


What is Coraline About? 
Coraline Jones is a young girl with a perilous taste for adventure. Despite warnings from musical field mice and talking black cats, her curiosity catapults her into a dystopian alternate-reality where her 'other mother' wants her to live forever. To make things right, Coraline sets out on a quest of bravery where she must win a malefic game to avoid a terrible fate.

My Favorite Quote:
"Being brave doesn't mean you aren't scared. Being brave means you are scared, really scared, badly scared, and you do the right thing anyway."

Why Did I Choose Coraline?
Coraline, in a way, chose me. Growing up, I was always more of a well dressed tom-boy who would rather catch bugs and salamanders in the pond than play with Barbies. I'll never forget when one of the neighborhood girls tattled on me because I refused to play dolls with her. When my mother asked me why, I told her "I like being a little girl. Why would I want to pretend to be a grown up?"

IMAGE


Like Coraline, I have always felt an overwhelming sense of wonder and thrive off pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. Having a courageous female lead who explores her independence, curiosity, and whimsy empowers me and reminds me to let my imagination run wild. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished